THE ultimate vegan Big Mac
1 yellow onion diced small
1 red onion diced small
2 Tbs avocado oil
6-8 garlic cloves
2 C Oats
2 Tbs mild harissa
1 Tbs Annies homegrown worcestershire sauce
1 tsp veggie pepper seasoning
1/2 C sundried tomatoes (rehydrated in water)
2 Tbs cashew butter
1 can of black beans
1-2 Tbs hot sauce
1. Pan fry the onions and garlic in 2 Tbs of avocado oil until transparent, fragrant and caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste, place in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a food processor puree the rinsed and drained black beans, sun-dried tomatoes (removed from the oil, or water) cashew butter, mild harissa, worcestershire, veggie pepper seasoning, and 1/2 C worth of oats. When the mixture is combined and smooth add it to the same bowl with the onions and garlic.
3. To that same bowl add in the remainder of the oats and begin to combine the mixture with your hands. Taste and see if more salt and pepper is needed. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.
4. Form 5-6 patties and pan fry them in a small amount of avocado oil. This should take about 5 minutes on each side, covering with a lid on the second side to ensure the patties cook through a bit. You want the outside to have a little bit of a crisp.
5. (Optional) Bake at 350 F. for 10 minutes, flipping in between. You may bake these longer but I liked that they still had a softness to them.
6. Serve on engine 2 buns with thousand island +1 additional Tbs of hot sauce, lettuce, tomato, day cheddar cheese slices, & onion