BiscottI & Chocolate molasses sauce
2 C organic all purpose flour or whole grain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/4 C coconut sugar
1/2 C unsalted earth balance butter
1 tsp grated lemon or orange zest
1/4 tsp pink salt
2 egg replacers, or 2 flax eggs
3/4 C almonds, hazelnuts or pistachios, chopped
1/3 C dried cranberries
1/3 C dried blueberries, currants, dates or raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat baking mat
- Create your flax egg or mix your egg replacer & set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk the flour & baking powder in a medium bowl. Using a mixer or hand mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, & salt in a large bowl to blend.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended, then add the flax egg, or egg replacer. Stir in the nuts & dried fruit of choice.
- Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Then allow them to cool for 30 minutes.
- Place the log on a cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into slices.
- Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the same baking sheet. Bake until they are golden, about 10 minutes then transfer the biscotti to a rack & cool completely.
- These can be made ahead & stored in an airtight container up to 4 days. You can also wrap them in foil & freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.
- For the chocolate molasses sauce whisk together cocoa, molasses & a small splash of hot water. Drizzle over the biscotti & enjoy.
*For this recipe you can use Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Egg Replacer