Do you ever experience food cravings that seem to resonate deep within your soul? I do, quite often actually, & sometimes they’ll even wake me up in the night. Often times my soul craves warmth, comfort, & a little of heat. When I am yearning for depth & comfort I do not reach for fried foods, I reach for soul foods & that is exactly what this dish is meant to be. Gianna’s Ramen is what I imagine would be a cross between an asian soup & a “chicken” soup. Spicy, cozy, soothing, heartwarming, deep, powerful & comforting, Gianna’s Ramen is the comfort food you need in your life…like yesterday.
Forbidden Rice Soup
1 L yellow onion diced small
6-8 garlic cloves
1 L thumb of ginger
2 Tbs sesame oil (I used spicy sesame oil)
1 entire head of Celery chopped small
4 L carrots chopped small
1 L head of Savoy cabbage
1 Tbs mellow white miso
1 Tbs Korean Chile flakes
2 pureed red belle peppers
2-4 Tbs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
12-18 C water
- Puree the garlic & the ginger. Add to a hot skillet with 2 Tbs of sesame oil, 1/4 tsp pink salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper. Saute until garlic is fragrant. Add in the carrots & the celery.
- Add in your chopped Savoy cabbage, 1 Tbs of mellow white miso, 1 Tbs of Korean Chile flakes, 2 pureed belle peppers, 2-4 Tbs liquid aminos.
- Mix everything & then cover with water, I personally was using a massive pot & I added between 12-18 C but you want to be sure the vegetables are submerged & that there is enough liquid in the pot. You may use vegetable broth but the beauty of this soup is the broth that forms from cooking for a long time.
- Let everything come to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook for 4-6 hours if using water, with the lid tilted.
- Serve with black forbidden rice noodles, fresh lemon, liquid aminos, pickled jalapeños, kimchi & more Korean Chile flakes