Recipe for the eggplant meatballs can be found in my book Rabbit Food!
penne vodka deconstructed
FOR THE SAUCE::
3 (28) oz can of tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
2 Tbs olive oil
8-10 cloves of chopped garlic
1 med or large sliced onion
Pinch of pink himalayan salt
1 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs dried parsley
1 Tbs dried basil
A generous splash of red wine (I eye ball it but id say 1/3-1/2 C)
1/2-1C fresh basil
3-4 Bay leaves
1. Add 2 Tbs of olive oil to a large pot. Toss in your your finely chopped garlic and your onions, I personally slice mine very thin. Saute until fragrant and transparent on medium/low heat.
2. Add in your 1Tbs of oregano, parsley, basil and (optional) crushed red pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Lower the gas and begin to pour in the crushed tomatoes. (Always be sure to wipe the top of your cans with a damp towel prior to opening them!) Allow the liquid to come to a boil and then add in your red wine, fresh herbs and bay leaves.
4. Reduce the gas to low heat and allow the sauce to cook on low for 4-6 hours. Be sure to leave the lid on but slightly tilted. (I hope that makes sense)
CASHEW RICOTTA CHEESE::
2 C raw cashews that soaked overnight
1 C unsweetened unflavored almond milk
3 Tbs fresh lemon or lime juice
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
5 garlic cloves
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp basil
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/3 C fresh parsley (optional)
1/3 C fresh basil (optional)
5 sun dried tomatoes (optional)
Pink Himalayan salt to taste
1 tsp veggie pepper seasoning
1. Blend in a high speed blender until smooth