1 Stick earth balance butter, softened
1 tsp baking powder
3 1/2-4 C all purpose flour
2 Tbs vanilla extract
1 C of sugar
6 Tbs Follow Your Heart vegan ‘egg’
1 1/2 C ice cold water (to create the vegan egg)
CHEESE & MEAT FILLING
8 Tbs Follow Your Heart vegan ‘egg’
3 C ice cold water (to create the vegan egg)
8oz Kite Hill Ricotta cheese
1 pack of Follow Your Heart Mozzarella shredded
1 pack of Follow Your Heart Provolone diced
1 Homemade Vegan Glazed Holiday Ham (Sarah’s Kitchen) sliced thin, then chopped.
1. Create your vegan egg according to the packet instructions. Whisk and set aside.
2. Mix the 3 1/2 C of the flour (start with less), the softened butter, baking powder, vanilla and sugar in either a bowl or a Kitchen aide mixer. Blend or stir until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Then add in the Vegan Egg with the machine running. Continue mixing until the dough forms.
3. Gather the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, with 1 piece twice as large as the second piece. Flatten the dough pieces into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm enough to roll out, about 30 minutes.
4. While the dough is refrigerating prepare your filling. Start by creating your Vegan Egg.
5. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses and the meats and the Vegan Egg.
6. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Lay your rolled out dough into a greased baking dish, then pour the filling into the dough filled dish. Top with the second piece of pastry dough. Fold, braid, pinch the edges so they are sealed. Poke holes with a fork so that you can create air flow and prevent explosions.
7. Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes, checking frequently. Increase the temperature to 375 F. and cook for an additional 30 minutes…again keeping an eye on the top to ensure it doesn’t burn. Each oven is different so you want to be sure you are supervising the Pizzagiana!
8. Enjoy hot OR cold. It is even better the next day! I personally prefer it chilled!
Further instructions can be found on my Youtube Channel!